The tutor system at the Bratislava International School of Liberal Arts (BISLA) is aimed at providing a personal, individual and responsible approach to each student during the full course of study. A tutor’s goal is to provide students with all the necessary information in a timely fashion, to help students arrange their study plans, to solve study issues in a reliable and timely fashion, and to facilitate communicate between students, teachers and the college administration.
This is a brief overview and does not contain a detailed and complete list of rights and responsibilities. That can be found in the BISLA Study Rules and Regulations and in the BISLA President’s Guidelines on the Tutorial System.
(1) There is a tutor granted to every student at BISLA for the whole length of study. The main task of a tutor is to provide personal assistance, and to inform and advise a student in a timely fashion of all their rights and obligations at BISLA. The guiding principle of the tutor’s work is an individual and personal approach to each one of the students.
(2) Every tutor at BISLA may have up to 5 students, but no more, from a respective year of study to ensure the tutor is sufficiently available to each of their students.
(3) A BISLA tutor is obliged to meet a student at least twice per semester (excluding July and August) or upon their request.
(4) A BISLA tutor advises students on and signs their proposals for: a study plan, the registration for mandatory and optional courses, the bachelor thesis theme, and other necessary details.
(5) A BISLA tutor has a say in all decisions of the BISLA administration that relate to the student, especially concerning study results, disciplinary issues, and all other issues that are related to study.
(6) A BISLA tutor does not need to be assigned as the final thesis supervisor of a student, though it is possible.
(7) A BISLA tutor’s work is officially completed on once the last obligation for completion of study completion has been fulfilled.
For details, please see internal BISLA documents.